News Idiocy of the Week: 4 –year old Texan, Taylor Pugh, was recently forbidden to attend school because his hair is too long to meet the dress code. Now he has been told he can attend only if the hair is braided. For the full story, I kid you not, read this story from a Dallas newspaper: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/011210dnmetmeshair.6c3b6e7c.html
Ok, Stepford School Board. Do you at least have the same rules for all children? Oh wait, here are some differences directly from Mesquite’s published dress code:
Boys: Additional Guidelines
- Hair is to be out of the eyes, not extend below the bottom of the earlobes and cut so that it does not extend over the collar (dress shirt).
- Mustaches, beards and other facial hair are prohibited.
- Earrings are prohibited including spacers and gauges.
Girls: Additional Guidelines
- Low cut apparel is not allowed.
- Girls must wear sufficient undergarments.
- Ear gauges are not allowed.
To read it yourself, check out the link: http://www.mesquiteisd.org/students/policies/standarddress.asp
What about children who are gender variant? Which rules do they follow? And just how do Taylor’s beautiful locks interfere with his learning or the learning of others? Are students ipping over them? What do you think about this?